This is a brilliant podcast I highly recommend to all coaches, specifically those coaching at a youth level. “The relationships make the difference;” Manchester United Youth Coach Tom Statham on 24 years coaching 8-11 year old future professionals.
Tom Statham, Manchester United Youth Coach, “The cones, bibs and balls are the easy part. It’s the relationships that make the difference.”
Marcus Rashford. Jesse Lingard, Jonny Evans, Danny Drinkwater, Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverly, and the list goes on and on. These are among the household names Tom Statham has had the privilege of working as 8-11 year olds as a youth coach at Manchester United, beginning in 1994. He is a wealth of knowledge about coaching and developing players.
- What are the common characteristics that these players share?
- Did their talent show right away, or did their talent whisper?
- What was it like to learn under coaching legends like Alex Ferguson, Eric Harrison, Tony Whelan, Brian Kidd, and Rene Muelensteen?
- What is Tom’s philosophy about nurturing creativity in young players?
- How does he work with parents? And so, so, so much more.
If you are a youth coach, especially a youth soccer coach, you MUST listen to this week’s podcast. It is one of our best yet.